Thursday, April 28, 2011

CSA Week 2

Another tasty week at Wild Turkey Farms.

This weeks basket includes:

Spinach

Turnips with greens

Kohlrabi

Bok Choy

White Radishes


Not sure if I missed anything because the baskets were already prepared by the time I got to the farm & everyone was picking them up.......but I think I am close on the contents.


Hopefully, next week I will take a picture of all the bounty.


******

I got to see a lot of of our CSA customers last week at the pick-up & I think they were all thrilled with their baskets. this week everyone got there at the same time so there was no time to visit but there's always next week.


**********


Until we started selling at the Farmer's Market there were a lot of vegetables I had never heard of much less cooked them. So it has definitely been a learning experience for me what to do with some of them.



While at the Farmer's Market last Saturday I heard over & over again customers ask "How do you cook this?" when they saw the bok choy. The response was usually "stir fry." While I have MANY times used bok choy in stir fry we also discovered last week that it's pretty good on the grill. We also grilled some kohlrabi & radishes. The kohlrabi we peeled and sliced then grilled...it was yummy! I'm going to try it on my George Foreman grill tonight.


I cooked last weeks recipe for Braised Bok Choy last night. It was YUMMY!!!! If you haven't tried it you'll definitely want to this go around. I used low-sodium organic chicken broth because I had just enough left but next time I'll use the chicken stock that we made ourselves.


This weeks recipe is for kohlrabi. I was hoping to try it out first but I did not have any Parmesan Cheese at home. I find that my kids will eat about anything if they know there is cheese included.




I also got an early Mother's Day present (HINT: Mother's Day is May 8th), it was a pickling cookbook with over 250 recipes. There was a recipe for pickled kohlrabi, so I hope to try that over the week-end!




Check out this link for more recipes using kohlrabi & Emily's Green Kitchen for lots of recipes & healthy living ideas.



Kohlrabi with Parmesan

2 large or 3 medium kohlrabi, stalks and leaves removed
2 T unsalted butter or olive oil, or combination
1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1 T minced parsley


Peel kohlrabi to remove fibrous outer layer. Shred with grater or food processor. Heat a medium skillet to medium heat. Add butter and/or oil. When fat is hot, add kohlrabi. Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetable is tender, about 8 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir. Toss with cheese. Cook until cheese melts, about 1 minute. Garnish with parsley. Serve hot. Serves 4.









No comments:

Post a Comment