Thursday, June 9, 2011

Garden Peas & New Toys

One of Lee's favorite vegetables are garden peas. Me not so much but we decided this year to plant some garden peas. If you haven't picked peas in awhile my suggestion is to take 2- 5 gallon buckets- one to put the peas in & one to sit on! It is definitely back-breaking work.


We also enlisted the help of the boys. Charlie ate 95% of what he picked & Rosty was more interested in digging in the dirt than helping to pick garden peas. I told them no pick no eat. Of course, they know that is not true;-)


I really do not mind shelling peas or beans of any kind. I have a lot of memories of shelling butter beans as a little girl. For those of you not familiar with butter beans they are similar to Lima beans. I was surprised when I moved here not to find butter beans......but the past 2 years they have been showing up at the Farmer's Market in the fall.


Here are some of the peas .

They had already been blanched & were waiting to be bagged up & vacuumed packed.




This is Lee's latest toy.


If you have purchased chicken from us in the past 2 weeks, I hope you have noticed our fancy new packaging. We have really enjoyed the vacuum packer for not only chicken but......


vegetables also.


We froze 30 bags of broccoli & 20 bags of peas. The Menius family will have a couple of other green vegetables to eat this winter.....I think the family got tired of collards & green beans every week last year.



No comments:

Post a Comment