Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Finishing what I started

I have started several blog entries and then something happens, the phone rings, I hear "Mommy!" and I never finish the entry so I am going to complete this entry and catch you up on what has been going on.
Well, to start with I can not believe that it is March. There are lots of things growing in the greenhouse and several thing planted in the garden. So those of you who signed up for our CSA things are looking good!
I told Lee I wanted to plant a more varied garden this year. Let me say that I have SO enjoyed having fruits & vegetables that we either canned or froze from last year but our selections are getting a little slim now. If you are a Facebook friend you saw my post about the 22 cans of pumpkin...so maybe we haven't eaten a lot of pumpkin but when I do use it it is so good!! I usually use the pumpkin for bread or muffins. We also have eaten either greenbeans, black-eyed peas (which we are out of now), pink-eyed peas, or crowders peas every week. Collards is another favorite seasoned of course with WTF season meat. Potatoes and sweet potatoes...I have one potato casserole, 2 containers of mashed sweet potatoes & 2 sweet potato pies still in the freezer. If we were invited to any function at Thanksgiving or Christmas I took sweet potato casserole!!!
One thing I hope to do this spring/summer is let you know what I am doing with all the fresh vegetables & fruit that you purchase from the Farmer's market this year.
I learned a new one this past year. You can freeze bell peppers. I froze 4 freezer bags full (I still have about 4 left) & we enjoyed having stuffed bell peppers with WTF cajun sausage & rice.
Another big thing for us at the farm is lambing season. If you are a regular customer/follower of the blog or Facebook page you know all about Cupcake (2009 bottle-fed lamb) & Poundcake (2010 bottle fed lamb). This year we have Ice-Cream & Lucky. Ice-Cream (named by the boys) has much the same story as the other 2 lambs that we bottle-fed, for some reason her mom decided that she was not going to feed her so we brought her in our bathroom and gave her a warm place to stay & around-the-clock room service.
Lucky (I named) is a different story. Lucky's mom was pregnant with triplets (we did not know this at the time) and had a hard delivery with the other 2 lambs. Lee & I actually had to assist her with the birth and both lambs were already dead and the mom died soon after. This is the part of farming that really sucks but it is also a fact of life. Lucky got his name because he was "lucky" that he was born first and survived.
I guess that catches us up for now. I think I have farm pics from January that I have yet to post so check back tomorrow for those!

1 comment:

  1. Turn some of that pumpkin into pumpkin soup! Use a chicken broth and cream base-delicious and filling on a rainy (and somewhat cold day) !

    ReplyDelete