Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Eating seasonally

This is a bird's eye view of 1 of our gardens (taken from the top of the grain bin) & that is my husbands lovely finger in the picture!
We try every year to have a nice plentiful garden. Not only do we want to have fresh fruits & vegetables available for ourselves & family but we want to preserve for the fall & winter also.

As much as eating local is important to us eating seasonally is also. As mentioned in past posts my kids are getting tired of kohlrabi. Last weeks kohlrabi adventures were adding shredded kohlrabi to slaw (used for hot dogs and which I later used on fish tacos) & pickled kohlrabi. The pickled kohlrabi needed to sit a few days but hopefully we will try it tonight.


I have also made weekly batched of kale chips. I even brought some to work & made the guys I work with try them. They either liked them or just humored me by saying they were good.


We've also had lots of lettuce but I like a salad loaded with things like tomatoes & cucumbers and we all know the grocery store tomatoes aren't the best this time of year.


One of Lee's favorites is broccoli. We have had raw broccoli with homemade dip & added to stir fry. We will definitely have broccoli later this fall & winter because we put 30 bags (approx. 1-lb. bags) in the freezer this week.

So what's next you may ask ask? What fruit & vegetables can we expect to see in our gardens or at Farmer's Markets in the next few weeks.


Check out this link to find out What's in Season? in North Carolina.

No comments:

Post a Comment