Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Farm Visitor

For several years this fellow has been a resident of WTF. I don't remember exactly when we first saw him but he has been around the farm for awhile.



My first encounter with him I was walking into the garage and I saw him slithering into the flower bed. I went to find Lee and he decided that the snake needed to be relocated to the pasture- which I agreed with.



The part I did not agree with was that he needed my help to relocate him. Let me take just a moment to say that I am not a snake fan- enough said!


Lee got a feed sack to put the snake in & my job was to hold the sack open. If you can imagine me trying to hold the sack open while standing just as far away as I could from the sack, the whole time saying "quick, quick, get him in there."



The snake was in the bag & ready to be relocated. We put the sack down for about 5 minutes while we rounded the kids back up to head down to the creek. When Lee picked up the sack it felt light. Guess what! There was a hole in the feed sack........


But he never went far.


We would find him in the barn eating eggs & he would be relocated. We would find him in the garden & he would be relocated.



There are a couple reasons that it has been nice to have the snake around. He eats mice in the barn (since our barn cat hasn't gotten lazy) & it has given Lee the opportunity to teach the boys about good snakes versus venomous snakes and how to properly handle snakes.




1 comment:

  1. I was happy to read about the snake but was not prepared to see its picture at the end. I am very much afraid of snakes and I do not want to see them, whether as pictures or real. If I ever visit your farm, relocate the snake for the time I am there. I am enjoying your blog which I just discovered today

    ReplyDelete