Tuesday, July 5, 2011

From the garden

I always start out with good intentions.......


If you are a regular visitor you may remember that I was trying to post a recipe every week of something that was in the CSA basket. We started out with some things that were not so common to everyone.....Swiss chard, kale, Bok Choy. I thought it would help our CSA customers to know what to do with some of the vegetables & it woul help me with alternate ideas.


The first few weeks I did alright and then we got busy at the farm & the Farmer's Markets started and well you kow life just happens.


So, I have decided to share a favorite family recipe for Zucchini Bread.


I have no story behing this recipe. It wasn't passed down to me from anyone. In fact, I had never heard of Zucchini Bread until I was married and we had our first garden together. The running joke with zucchini is that you have so much that you can't give it away to your neighbors. So I was trying to find ANYTHING to do with zucchini.


Some of my favorite cookbooks that I have are from church groups or civic groups. The cookbook that I got my Zucchini Bread recipe from is named Open Your Heart For Closed Eyes Cooking With Friends of Pilot Dogs.


For more information about Pilot Dogs, Inc.



I started with zucchini


I waited too late to get a picture of all the bread!



Zucchini Bread

3 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 cups shredded zucchini
1/2 cup oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (optional)


Heat oven to 325 degrees. Grease bottoms only of two 9x5 or 8x4 loaf pans (I normally make 1 large loaf & 2 mini loaves).In large bowl beat eggs until foamy. Stir in sugar, zucchini, oil and vanilla. Blend in the remaining ingredients by hand: flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves & nuts. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake at 325 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes, remove from pans. Cool completely. Makes 2 loaves.

*****

When we have zucchini in the garden I make this recipe at least once a week. Charlie LOVES it! If you notice the note I made in the recipe I usually make 2 mini loaves that way you can share the Zucchini bread with someone.

ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment