Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Cooking From the Farmer's Market- Collards

 
I love collards!  So much so I can collards every year so we can enjoy them all year long.  Canning collards is a long & tedious process but so worth it especially when in the summer we are enjoying a Wild Turkey Farms ham steak with collards & sweet potatoes (that I freeze every year...that will be a fall post).
 
Someone had told me that they always freeze collards that they had never canned them so I decided to do a test batch with these early spring collards that were provided to me by Correll Farms.
 
I do suggest that if you have never "frozen" vegetables that you call your local Cooperative Extension Office & they can provided you with information that you need to assist you in preserving fruits and/or vegetables.
 
I have several canning books that I use as reference books such as Canning & Preserving for Dummies.
 
 
Start with collards that you wash

Then cut out the stem & cut collards into pieces

Transfer to boiling water to blanch the collards

Then place collards in cold water to help to stop the blanching process

We have a vacuum sealer that I used but you could also you freezer bags or other freezable containers.
 
 
This is my first time freezing collards so I am anxious to see how they taste versus the collards than I usually can. 
 
Stay tuned & I'll let you know how they are after we eat them!

No comments:

Post a Comment