Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Cooking from the Farmer's Market- Cauliflower

 
 
What do you get if you cross a dog with a daisy???
 




Cauliflower......
As a child I detested cauliflower.  As an adult I have tried to eat cauliflower because I have children & I want to set a good example for them.  That being said I needed to find a recipe that the boys (make that me) would actually eat.  So, I had heard about substituting cauliflower for potatoes thus making mock mashed potatoes or cauliflower mashed potatoes.
 
I'll go ahead & warn you (if you haven't figured it out already from previous posts) I use most recipes as a guide but I never follow the recipe exactly.
 
I went to allrecipes.com & cooks.com and read through several recipes trying to find the right one for my family.  In the end my recipe was very simple because I used what I had at home.  Some recipes used sour cream, others used cream cheese & some simply mashed the cauliflower & added olive oil, salt & pepper.  So here is the WTF version of mashed cauliflower.  Hope you enjoy!
 
Cauliflower from the Farmer's Market



After cutting the cauliflower into smaller pieces.  I placed in a stainless steel saucepan & boiled for 10-12 minutes.  Then drained the water & mashed the cauliflower (just like you would potatoes).  I added milk, salt, pepper & cheese.



I baked in a small dish at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes added some more cheese on top & baked until the cheese melted.

It didn't fool the kids.  They realized it wasn't potatoes.  I was hoping the cheese would help but they tried it......
 
It definitely does have a stronger flavor then normal mashed potatoes but I would make it again maybe this time add some herbs or different seasonings to it.
 
My good friends at Correll Farms have a cauliflower pizza crust recipe I'm hoping to try soon.  So stayed tuned for that one!
 
 
***Cauliflower provided by Correll Farms***

No comments:

Post a Comment