Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Cooking from the Farmer's Market- Summer Squash

If you have been at the Farmer's Market the past few weeks you have noticed all the summer squash. 
 
Did you know there was a difference between summer squash & winter squash?
 
Summer squash such as zucchini or patty pan is thin skinned while winter squash such as acorn squash has a hard, thick rind.
 
When squash is in season I have to make a couple of batches of fried squash.  I will admit that I am NO GOOD at frying things.  But this time I rocked it!!!
 
 
I started with fresh squash from Correll Farms.


 

I cut the squash into slices.

 
 
As we have learned I don't always measure but my batter consisted of flour, yellow cornmeal & season salt. 
 
My wash was milk & 1 egg.
 
After dipping the squash in the wash & then dredging in the batter mixture I put them in the frying pan.
 
This is where I think I accomplished what I am referring to as fried squash awesomeness.  Normally, I would have the heat up too high on the stove but this time I had it on medium lo (4.5 if your stove is digital like mine) & just check out the picture of my awesomeness!!



********

This is a special treat because there are going to be 2 recipes with this post.  And believe it or not this is actually a time that I follow a recipe!
 
Many years ago when we were first married & we had zucchini out the wazoo I was trying to figure out what to do with it & I found a recipe for zucchini bread.  This recipe has become a family favorite.  I have used this recipe the past 2 weeks & I'm sure I'll be making it a few more times.
 
You can also shred zucchini & freeze it so you can make this bread in the fall or winter.
 

I love cookbooks.  Especially cookbooks from organizations or churches because these are usually tried & true recipes.  My zucchini bread recipe comes from the Open Your Heart For Closed Eyes cookbook.  We were visiting friends in Pennsylvania back in 2003 & a family member was selling these cookbooks so my mom got me one.  It is definitely one I use a lot.




ZUCCHINI BREAD
3 eggs
2 c. sugar
2 c. shredded zucchini
1/2 c. oil
2 tsp. vanilla
3 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c.chopped nuts
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cloves (optional)
 
Heat oven to 325 degrees.  Grease bottoms only of two 9x5 or 8x4 loaf pans.  In large bowl, beat eggs until foamy.  Stir in sugar, zucchini, oil & vanilla.  Blend in the remaining ingredients by hand: flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves & nuts.  Pour batter into prepared pans.  Bake at 325 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool 10 minutes, remove from pans.  Cool completely.  Makes 2 loaves.
 
 



***Squash & Zucchini provided by Correll Farms***

No comments:

Post a Comment